30th October 2018
Written on 20th June 2018
TSA’s 5 Essential Summer Travel Tips
Summertime is here! If you plan on travelling this year, take advantage of these five travel tips and you’ll sail smoothly past TSA on your way to your gate.
1) Stay Hydrated
It’s going to be hot out and you’ll need to stay hydrated. You’ve also got to make your vacation dollars last, so you don’t want to buy $4 bottles of water in the gate area. Did you know you can bring your empty favorite water bottles and fill them up in the gate area? They don’t need to be clear and they can be metal, plastic, etc.
2) Don’t Get Hangry, Pack Wisely
Whether you’re eating it at your gate, snacking on the plane, or saving it for your destination, know you can bring solid food items along with your carry-on items. We’re talking burgers, chicken, pizza, pies, cakes, bread, donuts, fruits, vegetables, etc.
What to expect: In standard lanes, TSA officers may ask to separate items from carry-on bags such as foods, powders, and any materials that can clutter bags and obstruct clear images on the X-ray machine. That’s in addition to screening personal electronic devices separately in bins, such as laptops, tablets, e-readers and handheld game consoles. So be sure to listen and follow the instructions of the TSA officer.
3) Rules for flying with Beverages, Sunscreen & Deodorant
Ahhh, the three essential items you just have to pack for summer travel.
- Deodorant: Flying with deodorant isn’t a sticky situation. Stick deodorant is not limited to 3.4 oz. (100ml) or less, but gel or spray deodorant is.
- Beverages: Wine, liquor, beer and all of your favorite beverages are permitted in your checked baggage. You can also bring beverages packaged in 3.4 oz. or less bottles in your carry-on liquids bag. But just because you can pack alcohol doesn’t mean that you can drink it on the flight. FAA regulations state that “No person may drink any alcoholic beverage aboard an aircraft unless the certificate holder operating the aircraft has served that beverage.”
- Sunscreen: Sunscreen and tanning lotions must also adhere to the TSA liquids policy.
What to expect: For all gels, liquids, pastes and aerosols, be sure to follow the 3-1-1 liquids rule. In standard lanes, make sure you take the zip-top bag out of your carry-on prior to sending it through the X-ray. If you’re checking a bag, make your life easier by packing liquids in your checked baggage. That way, you don’t have to worry about the liquids rule.
4) Get Through the Line Faster with TSA Pre✓®
What is TSA Pre✓®? In a nutshell, it allows eligible travelers to receive expedited screening. In layman’s terms, it means you get through security really fast. Even if a TSA Pre✓®line looks longer, it moves much faster than a standard lane.
What to expect: Did you know the average wait time in TSA Pre✓® lanes nationwide is under 5 minutes? For TSA Pre✓® travelers, there is no need to remove shoes, laptops, liquids, belts and light jackets. If you haven’t already, apply for TSA Pre✓® now!
5) Know What’s in Your Bag
Be sure your souvenir is safe to travel in your bag. Our officers sometimes find the strangest things. If you’re not sure whether an item is allowed in your bag, check out the “What can I bring?” feature on tsa.gov.
For more information click here.
Get a fast track response for your enquiry
Please complete the following to get a call back from one of our travel experts.