Written on 13th June 2017
Lufthansa Wi-FI FlyNet® on long-haul flights
Whether you have to send work-related E-Mails or simply want to chat with your family - enjoy broadband internet above the clouds with FlyNet. In the free Lufthansa FlyNet® portal offer, you will find our Lufthansa Travel Guide, the latest news about business, politics, sports and society as well as weather forecasts, plus you have the option of finding information on your connecting flights.
Benefits at a glance
Whether you want to surf for fun or would prefer to spend your time on board working, Lufthansa FlyNet® creates the ideal conditions for you:
Additional benefits on long haul flights:
- Fast and secure surfing
- Access to the Lufthansa Travel Guide
- Send emails with file attachments without time delay
- The opportunity of shopping online in Lufthansa Worldshop
- Access your company’s Virtual Private Network (VPN)
It’s so easy to go online
- Get the latest news via the free FlyNet® portal
- Never miss a major sporting event with the
- Stay updated with the latest news from CNN and Euronews
- Send SMS/MMS messages or data synchronise with smartphones by GSM/GPRS mobile technology
The HotSpot symbol in the aircraft cabin shows you even before take-off that the FlyNet® service is installed on your flight. As soon as your aircraft has reached cruising altitude and you have switched on the Wi-Fi function on your WLAN-enabled device, the free Lufthansa FlyNet® portal opens up and you can log into the FlyNet® HotSpot.
Costs and billing
Deutsche Telekom offers you three individual tariffs for using the Internet service. Payment is possible by all major credit cards. It is also possible to pay using PayPal. Miles & More members can also redeem award miles to settle their bill.
- 1 hour: 9 EUR / 10 USD / 65 CNY or 3,000 miles
- 4 hours: 14 EUR / 15.50 USD / 100 CNY or 4,500 miles
- Full flight (up to 24 hours): 17 EUR / 19 USD / 125 CNY or 5,500 miles
The full flight tariff (up to 24 hours) can be used in any Lufthansa aircraft fitted with FlyNet® while it remains valid. Please be aware that all tariffs are based on the so-called ‘parking meter principle’. This means that your HotSpot pass Sky has a fixed duration which starts when you first log on and which cannot be extended by intermittently logging off the Internet.
Alternatively, if you are a customer of Deutsche Telekom or one of its affiliated roaming partners, you can also log on easily and conveniently with your access data, which you will need to request before the start of your journey. Your FlyNet® Internet use will then be charged in line with your service provider’s tariff. Please bear in mind that use on board the aircraft is billed as ‘international roaming’ and is therefore not necessarily included in the flat rate.
Currently you cannot book the FlyNet® Internet service on your long-haul flight in conjunction with FlyNet® for a short or medium-haul flight. However, our cross-flight FlyNet® offer is already being planned to enable you to enjoy seamless Internet use as soon as possible.
An Internet connection will therefore also be made available in future on board the Lufthansa A320-family fleet and hence on short and medium-haul routes thanks to a cooperation agreement with system provider Inmarsat.
‘Digital Passenger Experience’
includes the following services/products:
How this differs to FlyNet® on long-haul routes:
- LH app and digital baggage services
- FlyNet®/on-board Internet
- In-flight entertainment
- New mobile booking process
- Lufthansa FlyNet® also available on shorter flights in future
- Stay in touch with friends, family or colleagues consistently via on-board Internet: with Lufthansa FlyNet® you will soon be well connected on short and medium-haul routes too –and you can even try out this service now on certain flights. That is ‘Rethinking air travel’ adjusted to your requirements!
The service will be offered in various service packages: depending on the service, the packages will also differ in price. FlyNet®
on long-haul routes, on the other hand, is offered as a ‘time package’ and is available as follows:
- On the passenger’s own mobile device via the FlyNet portal
- 1 hour = 9 euros
- 4 hours = 14 euros
- 24 hours = 17 euros
Commercial consistency between the FlyNet® product on long-haul and FlyNet® on short and medium-haul will be established in the medium term.
Up to now wireless in-flight entertainment and the Lufthansa Entertainment app have enabled passengers on 20 A321 aircraft to access the in-flight entertainment on their own mobile devices.
This service will gradually be replaced by FlyNet®
on short and medium-haul routes.
Lufthansa is the first European network airline to offer Internet access on its entire existing A320-family fleet and therefore on short and medium-haul routes.
Retrofitting LH Group member fleets
- The Wi-Fi connection will remain active throughout the flight and enable consistent access to the free FlyNet® portal – more or less from ‘gate-to-gate’
- The FlyNet® portal can be used in all flight phases. The Internet connection will only be available when the aircraft is at cruising altitude
- Installation began in August 2016 with an anticipated completion date of mid-2018. The A320-family fleet (i.e. the A319s, A320s and A321s, approx.180 aircraft in all) are being retrofitted. A decision is still to be made about retrofitting the regional fleet
- Austrian has been offering connectivity since December 2016 – AUA’s 31 aircraft will all be equipped by the end of spring 2017
- Connectivity has also been available on Eurowings since the end of 2016 – a majority of its fleet will probably have been equipped by end of March 2017
- SWISS plans to introduce connectivity by the end of 2017
For availability and further information please contact you dedicated Travel Executive or click here
for our contact information.