17th January 2018
Written on 17th January 2018
United States - REAL ID and Air Travel
Passed by Congress in 2005, the REAL ID Act established minimum security standards for state-issued driver’s licenses and identification cards and prohibits federal agencies, like TSA, from accepting licenses and identification cards for official purposes from states that do not meet these standards.
Beginning January 22nd, 2018, driver’s licenses or state IDs issued by states that are not in compliance with the REAL ID Act and have not been granted an extension by DHS may not be used to fly within the U.S.
Beginning October 1st, 2020, every traveller will need a REAL ID-compliant license or state ID or another acceptable form of identification to fly within the U.S. List of acceptable forms of ID:-
- U.S. passport
- U.S. passport card
- DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
- U.S. Department of Defense ID, including IDs issued to dependents
- Permanent resident card
- Border crossing card
- DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
- Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
- HSPD-12 PIV card
- Foreign government-issued passport
- Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
- Transportation worker identification credential
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
- U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential
If you live in a state that has been granted an extension, your driver’s license or state ID card will be accepted as valid identification to board a federally regulated commercial flight until October 18, 2018. It is recommended to update to a REAL ID-compliant license or State ID prior to October 18, 2018 as additional extensions may or may not be granted. To check if your state/territory is compliant or has been granted an extension, visit http://travelmanagement.appointmentgroup.com/e/411122/real-id/dx9bv3/468308640
Please contact your dedicated Travel Executive for any further information regarding this matter.
The Appointment Group